Touchdown Aviation
military aviation photography - reports - publications - video
Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk XVIe - TD248/CR-S
 

TD248 was built at Vickers Armstrong (Castle Bromwich) and delivered to 6 MU (Maintenance Unit) at Brize Norton on May 16 where she was prepared for service with 695 Squadron based at Bircham Newton in Norfolk with the codes 8Q-T. The Squadron relocated to Horsham St Faith (Norwich) in August 1945.

The aircraft was withdrawn from service on 31 December 1947 when an inspection was carried out by 54 MU based at Cambridge following unrecorded and substantial damage, it was eventually returned to service coded 4M-E with 695 Squadron on May 13, 1948. 

On August 31 1951 TD248 was transferred to 2 CAACU (Civilian Anti Aircraft Co-operation Unit) at Little Snoring, Norfolk.  2 CAACU was operated by Marshalls of Cambridge and included calibration flights and target towing. In March 1953 the unit moved to Langham, Norfolk and in May 1954 TD248 was withdrawn from service and stored with 9 MU RAF Cosford pending disposal.

In October 1955 she was issued to 610 Squadron of the Royal Auxilery Air Force for static display at Hooton Park, Cheshire with the codes DW-A. She was then stored there from 1957 to April 8 1959, when she became 7246M with 1366 Squadron Air Training Corps at RAF Sealand. She was displayed outside the officers mess, used in 'The Battle of Britain' film in 1968 and ended as a gate guard at the main gate until of RAF Sealand until 1988.

She was eventually acquired by Historic Flying in June 1988. In August 1988 she was sold to Eddie Coventry in August 1988 and she got registration G-OXVI in the same month. She was recovered from RAF Sealand on October 14, 1988 to leave for Audley End. During her rebuilt with Historic Flying the propeller was totally rebuilt with new blades and bearings and the Packard Merlin 266 engine zero timed. All the original systems parts are retained after being overhauled. She flew again for the first time on November 10, 1992 in the striking silver and red livery of 41 Squadron Spitfire XXI that participated in the Blackpool Air races of 1948/49.

She was then sold to Karel Bos and got involved in a landing accident at Duxford on May 11 2001. Pilot Karel Bos was uninjured but TD248 was damaged at her undercarriage, port wing, and propellor and was stored in Historic Flying's hangar, Duxford. After being restored she flew again on May 27, 2002. TD248 was sold again in 2005 re-sprayed her in her new colour scheme of 74 Squadron of 2 Tactical Air Force of May 1945 with code CR-S. She is owned by Tom Blair, operated by Spitfire Ltd. and maintained by the Aircraft Restoration Company at Duxford. 

Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk XVIe - G-OXVI - Spitfire Ltd. - United Kingdom
 

Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk XVIe
G-OXVI - TD248/CR-S

Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk XVIe - G-OXVI - Spitfire Ltd. - United Kingdom   Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk XVIe - G-OXVI - Spitfire Ltd. - United Kingdom   Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk XVIe - G-OXVI - Spitfire Ltd. - United Kingdom  
 
Bookmark and Share