Touchdown Aviation
military aviation photography - reports - publications - video
Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress F-AZDX 48846/DS-M
 

Boeing B-17G c/n 8246, was built at the Lockheed production lines in Burbank, California in December 1944. On January 13, 1945 she was delivered to the United States Army Air Force at Cheyenne, with serial number 44-8846. On March 26, 1945 she arrived in the United Kingdom to be assigned to the 351st Bomb Group as part of 511th Bomb Squadron, the famous "Ball Boys" led by Major Clinton Ball, where she would be named "Half Pint". 

When the war ended she had flown 6 missions and she remained in the UK where she was transferrred to 305th Bomb Group as part of 365th Bomb Squadron at Chelveston. Her stay with the 365th BS would be short lived as 305th BG transferred to Lechfeld in Southern Germany in May 1945, she joined the ranks of the 45th Reconnaissance Squadron that also of the 305th BG.

Flying with the 45th RS she would participate in the "Casey Jones Project", to map Germany by air. For this purpose she was converted to a RB-17G (initially designated F-9C) reconnaissance platform. In March 1949, still in Germany, she was transferred to Wiesbaden Air Force Base where she would stay until her return to the United States early 1953. Once back in the USA she was stored at the Ogden Air Material Command Centre at Hill Air Force Base, Utah. On November 10, 1954, she was struck of charge at Olmstead Air Force Base, Pennsylvania.

In December 1954 she was already on her way back to Europe as she was acquired by the French l'Institut Géographique National (National Geochraphic Institute/IGN) and would be registered F-BGSP. From her base at Creil she would fly around the world on IGN survey operations over the French colonies and the Artics. In 1965 she flew a survey project in South Africa and returned to France where she would act in several French movies. In August 1979 she was put in storage.

In 1984 she was restored to flight, to be part of the 40th anniversary of the liberation of France. This was partly funded by Air France, and she took part in the Quatorze Julliet parades in Paris. In May 1985 she was re-registered as F-AZDX and was put in the hands of the partnership Forteresse Toujours Volante and Amicale Jean-Baptiste Salis.

In June 1989 she was again starring in a movie this time being the classic "Memphis Belle". She was painted in olive drab and was marked as "Mother and Country" and as we know her today; "Pink Lady", . In 1999, she was painted with the original markings from the period she was part of the 511th BS although she remained olive drab. She is now based at Melun-Villaroche and is one of two airworthy B-17s in Europe, the other being "Sally B", is based at Duxford in the United Kingdom.

Association Forteresse Toujours Volante - France
 

Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress
F-AZDX - 48846/DS-M

Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress - F-AZDX - Association Forteresse Toujours Volante - France   Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress - F-AZDX - Association Forteresse Toujours Volante - France   Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress - F-AZDX - Association Forteresse Toujours Volante - France   Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress - F-AZDX - Association Forteresse Toujours Volante - France
 
Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress - F-AZDX - Association Forteresse Toujours Volante - France   Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress - F-AZDX - Association Forteresse Toujours Volante - France   Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress - F-AZDX - Association Forteresse Toujours Volante - France   Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress - F-AZDX - Association Forteresse Toujours Volante - France
 
Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress - F-AZDX - Association Forteresse Toujours Volante - France   Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress - F-AZDX - Association Forteresse Toujours Volante - France   Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress - F-AZDX - Association Forteresse Toujours Volante - France   Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress - F-AZDX - Association Forteresse Toujours Volante - France
 
 
Bookmark and Share